* - Malaysian Team particapted in the 20th Chess Olympiad at Skopje, Yugoslavia. The first ever since the initiation of the Chess Olympiad!
* - April 1972 the President of the International Chess Federation, Professor Max Euwe was in Kuala Lumpur, and five students from Penang were selected to participate in a simultaneous match against him.
* – The Malaysian Schools Sports Council or MSSM hold its first national students team chess championships at the Dewan Sri Pinang from Dec 28 to 30 1972. Chess was introduced into the Majlis Sukan Sekolah-sekolah Malaysia programme. States started organising state-level chess tournaments and it culminated at the year’s end with the first-ever MSSM team chess championship.
The Malaysian Schools Sports Council held its first national students team chess championships at the Dewan Sri Pinang from Dec 28 to 30 1972.
It is being held to coincide with the Pesta Celebrations and was officially declared open by the Minister of Education, Dato Hussein Onn at 3pm on Dec 28 1972. Selangor won the events.
* - Malaysia participated at 20th Chess Olympiad 1972 at Skopje, Yugoslavia, the first ever since the initiation of the Chess Olympiad!!!
Players : 1.Foo Lum Choon ,2.Chan Mun Fye ,3.Kao Yin Keat ,4.Fang Ewe Churh ,5.Loh Chee Hoong , 6. A. Ariff
Seeded . Placing : 59/62.
* Penang Chess Association were form ( the oldest chess association in Malaysia)